Friday, April 20, 2007

Back to the 80's

I never thought I would have to come to Asia to experience the art of Karaoke. Well, I have been smitten. Give me my own microphone with music and words and watch out! Wilberta, Matilda, and I went to Karaoke with Sophie and her husband Wayne. You can rent a room with a couple of couches, tables, a TV, a Karaoke computer (for lack of a better term), and two microphones. Renting the room also included snacks: sodas, dried figs, peas, peanuts, and an unidentified substance that I did not venture to place in my mouth. We spent about three and a half hours singing, laughing, and building relationships with our new friends.
We all chose some songs to sing and kind of mixed the Mandarin and English up a bit. I felt like I had slipped back into the 80's for a short time as we found many songs from this era. It is amazing how long time can pass since hearing a song, but once it starts playing, the words come right back. I chose a few like, "My Girl," "Beat It," "Billie Jean," and "Copacabana." It was quite amusing to say the least. The videos that went along with it were varied with some being the original artists singing and some were of Chinese singers performing the songs. Who would have ever thought that Karaoke and friendship would go together so well.

As I am growing to love my new friends, I long for them to know the greatest Friend they could ever have. Hoping they will one day be among the multitudes that will surround the throne and sing to the One who is truly worthy of our praise.

No comments: