Saturday, November 11, 2006

Post Wedding Activities

Following my teacher's recent wedding, my classmates and I were invited to stay for a traditional program. I was expecting some type of traditional dress, dance, and song. Well, that's not what I experienced. We were with the bride and groom when four of the groom's friends came into the room. One was carrying an empty two-liter bottle. Another carried some type of cord doubled over. And, still yet another picked up a house shoe close by. While laughing, they placed the bride and groom at two opposite ends of a coffee table. They made the groom sit backwards in a chair. They then proceeded to place a cigarette in his mouth and light it. They gave the bride several glasses of water. The object of this activity was for her to spit the water out across the length of the coffee table and try to put out the lit cigarette that was hanging out of her husband's mouth. If she failed, they would then hit the groom with the empty two-liter bottle, house shoe, and cord as punishment. Needless to say, water was everywhere, everyone was laughing, and the cigarette was not put out until it had almost gone out on its own. Can't say that I have ever experienced this game before, but it was quite amusing. Not sure if this would go over in the States as a wedding game, but they sure enjoyed it here. I was able to capture the moment with this picture as the bride was in mid-spit and the groom awaited the coming water. Everyday is an adventure here. You just never know what you will experience. Not sure that I will ever use this game after my own wedding, but glad I had the opportunity to see someone else participate in the fun activity and know what to expect if a two-liter bottle begins flying around following the ceremony.

2 comments:

Hillary said...

Well, all I can say is that I'm really glad John and I did not have to play this game at our wedding!! Although I wouldn't have been the one with the water in my face!

Hillary said...

Well, all I can say is that I'm really glad John and I did not have to play this game at our wedding!! Although I wouldn't have been the one with the water in my face!